Each month, we feature a post on eye health and eye care written by our very own Bôhten Optometrist Dr. Henry. Providing insight on the dos and don'ts of eye care is our way of educating our community with the hope of improving eye health overall.
While many of you may see the lens colors used in the design of our Black Panther: Wakanda Forever inspired sunglasses as just style, they were also specifically chosen because of the many benefits they have for your eyes as well. The special lenses used are called gradient lenses and our in house optometrist Dr. Henry breaks down the science behind it all - the colors and their numerous benefits.
What are Gradient sunglasses?
Gradient sunglasses are two-tone sunglasses, which makes them ideal for wearing both indoors and outdoors. The different tones limit the intensity of the sun’s rays and give you the option to look through a lighter part of the lens. A metal oxide is added to the lens material to create the difference in tones. The top portion of the lens has a darker tint, while the bottom has a lighter tint or no tint at all. The sunglasses are named for this gradient transition in tones.
Benefits of Gradient Tint Sunglasses
1. They are helpful when driving. The difference in lighting between outside and inside your car can make it hard to see darker areas when you wear sunglasses with only one shade. Gradient sunglasses have two tones that help when you need to look outside but also still read your dashboard.
2. They keep your eyes comfortable in the sun. Gradient sunglasses limit the sun’s glare but still allow you to see clearly through the lighter part of the lens. They allow you to do tasks like reading or looking at your phone, while you get some protection from overhead exposure to sunlight.
Different types of Gradient Sunglasses:
Orange/Red gradient sunglasses (UV 400, CR39):
Sunglasses with light-colored lenses such as orange are ideal in moderate to low level light environments. Here's why:
1. They guarantee excellent depth perception and also function well for both outdoor and indoor sports.
2. They improve the visibility of objects and also make surroundings appear brighter.
3. They help improve driving visibility while reducing eye strain.
4. They help increase your depth of field and enhance details.
Orange/Red gradient sunglasses are a favorite lens tint among computer users and gamers as they reduce eye strain by blocking blue light.
Gold/Black gradient sunglasses (UV 400, CR39):
Sunglasses with gold/black colored lenses provide excellent depth perception and also function well for both outdoor and indoor sports. They too improve the visibility of objects, make your surroundings appear brighter and block out blue light.
Blue gradient gradient sunglasses (UV 400, CR39):
Blue tinted lenses provide stunning and enhanced color perception. They help you see contours around objects more clearly while offering protection from reflective surfaces. Sunglasses with blue lenses also work well in foggy and misty weather. What you also may not know is blue tinted lenses can have a calming effect on the eyes and match well on almost any skin tone. You can wear blue lenses to reduce glare during snowy conditions and also enjoy sunny leisure activities. Blue tinted sunglasses will offer you both fashion and leisure benefits.
Which ever pair you choose, our Wakanda Forever inspired collection will have you stand out above the rest - in style and eye care. Show us your favorite by tagging #Bohten #WeSeeYou on socials.